August 25, 2010

Once again, it’s been a while since my last post. Fortunately for you, my wife stays on top of things.
Seeing that it’s been nearly 4 months, a lot has happened [naturally] since I’ve last filled you in on our travels in South Asia. We’ve been to Thailand, the Taj [twice], the mountains, and a holy city. Along the way, we hosted a few foreigners for 7 weeks, A’s family has come and gone, and a friend as close as a brother came on independent study.
My hope is to fill you in on all of these things over the next couple of days. So stay tuned.
Below are a couple of photos from our trip to Varanasi.  We had the opportunity to take a morning boat ride while we were there. It was humbling to see the devotion given to what much of South Asia believes to be their life blood, the Ganges River. 

The people of Varanasi, as well as other communities along the river's banks, sleep on or near the ghats, wash their clothes in it, brush their teeth and bathe in it, and even play in it. 
This trip makes my second trip to Varanasi. And at this point, I don’t know if I will ever return. I do know though that the glimpses I have gotten of this place will never be forgotten.




1 comments:

SouthAsiaRocks said...

yay! Awesome pictures! Post more! Post more!!! The boat pics are so great! The lighting is so cool! Great job!